We all heard about iPhone 4′s “death grip” and antenna issue when it was first launched. There’s another serious hardware issue which is affecting many iPhone 4 users.
This common issue plaguing iPhone 4 users is “people cannot hear me or I cannot hear the other party when I make calls on my iPhone 4.”
What are the symptoms? While on a call:
- The other side cannot hear you
- You cannot hear the other person
- You experience both the issues above
On initial troubleshooting, it sounds like a microphone or earpiece issue. However, the odd thing is that all your voice applications like voice recorder and Skype can pick up your voice without any problem. Some say it has something to do with the proximity sensor but somehow no iOS update is able to resolve this issue.
One idiotic way to temporarily rectify the problem is by shaking the iPhone vigorously while you are on a call. Sounds crazy but it does work for some people.
If your iPhone has this problem there’s a DIY fix you can try.
WARNING: Proceed at your own risks. We are not responsible for any damage you might done to your phone.
1. Take apart your iPhone 4 and remove the logic board. There are plenty of tutorials on ifixit.com you can refer to.
4. With this tutorial, we will attempt to put a slight pressure on this chip to improve the conductivity between the chip and the logic board. Try to find a masking tape or similar material and place it on top of the chip. Try not to make it too thick or too thin.
5. Once the tape is in place then reassemble the EMI shield and make sure it’s secure.
6. Reassemble your iPhone 4 and make a test call. If all is well your iPhone should work normally again.
We also provide this as a service but we either replace the chip if it’s broken or reball and remount the chip. The latter ensures that it will not happen again.
Good luck and share your experience below if you tried this repair.
If you find this post useful, please do us a small favor by clicking on ‘LIKE’ or ‘Recommend on Google+’ below.
This is part of our eBook Start Your Own iPhone Repair and Unlocking Business that can help you generate additional $$$ income from home!