Apparently iOS 5.1.1 has a huge bug and it’s affecting a lot of iPhones out there, mainly the iPhone 4S. If your iPhone is having these symptoms, you can try this fix.
Your iPhone may have some or all of the symptoms below:
- When the volume buttons are pressed on the home screen you get “ringer” and the speaker symbol appear but nothing more (e.g. +/- volume)
- When playing back from iTunes with no headphones in, you get nothing through the internal speakers; the volume buttons don’t work and the volume slider is not visible
- When you open a YouTube video with no headphones plugged in, you don’t hear anythingg through the internal speakers, the volume buttons don’t work and the volume slider is not visible
- With headphones plugged in, sound is audible and volume buttons work
- When using voice mail, (no headphones connected) you can play the message through the speakers and control volume using side buttons
You can try the following fix, which requires your iPhone to be jailbroken first.
1. Jailbreak your iPhone using the latest redsn0w or Absinthe.
2. Download and install iExplorer. It’s available for both Mac and PC. Other alternative is iFile (jailbreak app) which you can run directly on your iPhone, search for it on Cydia.
3. Connect your iPhone to your PC/Mac and launch iExplorer.
4. Within iExplorer (or iFile), on the left column navigate to:
5. On the right column find ‘com.apple.iapd.plist’, right click then select delete.
6. Close iExplorer and reboot the iPhone. This is important. Done!
Do note that removing the com.apple.iapd.plist file may affect accessories that go with apps such as FM transmitters and Nike plus etc. If this doesn’t bother you then proceed!
Or else, wait for iOS 6 which is due for release in the next few days, hopefully this is issue will be resolved.
If you find this post useful, please do us a small favor by clicking on ‘LIKE’ or ‘Recommend on Google+’ below.