Just updated to iOS 6.1 but getting the iTunes error “There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate”? Here are some possible fixes.
This is a rather weird issue because you already have your SIM card inserted but iTunes is saying otherwise.
You can try the following fixes:
1. Take out the SIM card and insert it again (you may have to do this multiple times)
2. If that doesn’t work, try using a newer SIM card (friend’s, wife’s, collague’s etc). Some old SIM cards are not able to activate iPhones running on iOS 5 and above.
3. If that still doesn’t work, visit your nearest network provider and get a replacement SIM card. Be sure to try your iPhone there and then.
If you have an iPhone 3GS with iPad Baseband 6.15.00…
If you have iPad baseband 6.15.00 installed before, for whatever reason iTunes won’t let you activate your iPhone on iOS 6.1. Apple may have quietly put this restriction in place. In case you missed the news, you can now downgrade from iPad baseband 6.15.00 to 5.13.04.
How to Downgrade Baseband iPad Baseband 6.15.00 (iOS 6.1) to 5.13.04
1. Google and download iREB and put the iPhone 3GS into DFU mode. Download original iOS 4.1 firmware from here.
2. Click Shift+Restore (Option+Restore on Mac) on iTunes and point it to the firmware you just downloaded in Step 1 (iOS 4.1 is always being signed by Apple even if you don’t have the SHSH).
3. Google and download redsn0w 0.9.15b2 and select Extras.
4. Then select IPSW and choose the same iOS 4.1 you downloaded in Step 1.
5. Go back and select Jailbreak. Select ONLY Downgrade iPad Baseband. Ignore the rest.
5. Redsn0w will start doing the downgrade and you will see ‘Flashing Baseband’ screen on your iPhone with the Pawnapple icon. DO NOT INTERRUPT your iPhone while baseband flashing is in progress.
6. When done, your iPhone will reboot itself and the baseband should have been downgraded to 5.13.04. Try to connect to iTunes once more and see if it would activate.
Those with AT&T iPhones (all models) can be permanently unlocked so that you don’t have to deal with these issues in the future.
If you don’t have an official unlock, you may want to consider using this tutorial.
Any comments or issue?
If you find this post useful, please do us a small favor by clicking on ‘LIKE’ or ‘Recommend on Google+’ below.