In case you missed the news last weekend, an “unknown” hacker hamzah_akram had finally released his unlock method. We decide to re-write the steps as the one written by hamzah was thought to be confusing, unclear or simply too technical for many people.
Please note that I have not yet tested the steps below due to time constrains as we’re extremely occupied with logic board repairs. The steps were re-written based on my technical understanding of how the “unlock” works. Special thanks too djClint, “Taylor” and hamzah_akram himself for proof-reading the steps.
- Jailbroken iPhone 4 with baseband 4.11.08 (US AT&T model is used for this test).
- Working official carrier SIM card (AT&T SIM card)
- SIM card with constant data availability. Data must be active all the time (China Mobile SIM card is used for this test, so if you’re in the US and would like to use T-Mobile, use a T-Mobile SIM card)
- SAM Preference installed via Cydia. Click here on how to install SAM Preference.
Before You Begin…
- Turn on WiFi.
- Go to Settings > General > Network and turn on both Data Roaming and Cellular Data.
- Go to Settings > Turn off Location Services.
- Go to Settings> General > International > Region Format > The country should match the country of which the iPhone is locked to.
Attention: Don’t get confused – the instructions below are written for China Mobile network. Anything that has reference to China Mobile, change it to your own service provider.
1. Launch SAM Preference. Tap on home button (this will make it run in the background).
2. Go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz and download your unofficial carrier profile (China Mobile). Use the example below if you’re in China using China Mobile. Use your own country mobile service provider APN settings.
2. Insert AT&T SIM card and dial any number. If you see No Service, dial 112 and hang up after 5 seconds.
3. Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off auto search and then select China Mobile. You will get a message that says “Restricted network … ”. Hit Dismiss.
4. Go to Settings > Turn on airplane mode.
5. Quickly go to SAM > Utilities and Hit De-activate iPhone and (clear push) then hit Revert lockdown.
6. Go back to main SAM settings and disable Subscriber Artificial Module.
7. Forget Wireless Network and turn off Ask to Join Networks.
8. Go to Cydia > Manage > Sources then “bingner” then uninstall SAM. Don’t “restart springboard” just yet.
9. After SAM is uninstalled, tap on home button, go to Settings then forget the Wi-Fi network that’s currently connected. Turn off ‘Ask to Join Network.’
10. Make sure Airplane mode is turned on.
11. Eject the AT&T SIM card and hit OK when you see ‘No SIM Card Installed.’
12. Go back to Cydia and prepare to insert China Mobile SIM card.
13. Tap “Restart Springboard” and quickly insert China Mobile SIM card.
14. You will see the regular Activation Screen with (E) on the top left corner. Wait for 30 seconds.
15. Turn off your iPhone and then turn it on again. You will see the same activation screen with one signal bar and (E) data connection.
16. Tap on “use cellular connection” and wait 5 to 8 seconds.
17. Eject your SIM card and then quickly reinsert it. You will be redirected to the Home screen! You should now see a full signal bar with China Mobile network.
18. Quickly call China Mobile’s customer service hotline number (10086) for 1 minute. (“auto reply services center” of China Mobile)
19. Finally, go to Settings > General > About and check your carrier: it must be “Carrier 11.0” instead of “Carrier Lab 11.0″ or something else.
That’s it folks! Please have a go and let us know how it goes. Tech blogs: If you decide to copy and paste this, be sure to provide a link back. Thank you for your attention and support.
If it works, please do share or let us know where we missed.