After last week’s iOS 7 beta release by Apple, the iDevice scene is happening once again with the launch of Semi-Restore.
Semi-Restore is one of the most exciting iPhone jailbreaking tools already made available for free to public. If you’re a seasoned iPhone, iPad or iPod touch user, this is the exact tool that you’ve been hoping for.
It’s not actually a jailbreaking tool but rather it helps you restore your iPhone without wiping your jailbreak. In other words, this program will restore your iPhone or any iDevice without actually using iTunes while keeping all iOS system files intact.
This tool is extremely useful for newer devices such as iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 as currently there’s no method of restoring it and stay on the same iOS version. You are left with no choice but to update to the latest version. This is how Apple wants it to be. No jailbreaking for you.
Installing the latest iOS means you will lose your jailbreak and there’s no way to jailbreak it until the next available jailbreak becomes available, and that’s usually take a long time.
With the weekend release of Semi-Restore, you can do all these just by one click. You won’t have to rely on iTunes and it will clean up your device and restore it to its original factory settings while keeping your untethered jailbreak.
This tool supports any iDevice currently running on iOS 5 and up to iOS 6.1.2. Both Windows and Mac versions are readily available for download (links at the bottom of this post).
Here are some important notes before attempting to use Semi-Restore:
- Semi-Restore is built for Windows XP SP3 or higher, OS X 10.6 or higher, and Ubuntu 12.10 or higher (or the equivalent Linux).
- There are other alternatives to fix your jailbroken device such as uninstalling Mobile Substrate from Cydia.
- Backup, backup, backup! Need I say more?!
- While using Semi-Restore, don’t do anything else on your computer especially if it involves iTunes or XCode.
- If your device has corrupted systems files, it will not fix the problem. It will conflict with Siri Ports, Spire etc.
- Don’t panic if your device reboots or resprings during the process. This is completely normal. Sit tight and let it do its own thing.
A big thanks to the developer @CoolStar for making this tool available to the masses. A lot of folks have had the opportunity to test it during development so kudos to these guys as well.